Here at Christ Church our Christian ethos and values, in conjunction with a broad Religious Education (RE) curriculum and excellent teaching and learning, engage the whole Christ Church community in rich spiritual and religious growth. We explore values and beliefs of Christianity and other world faiths and identify and respect those of other cultures too.
Teachers follow the diocesan syllabus and the Understanding Christianity resource pack.
RE experiences at Christ Church ·
- Pupils experience the Church’s year through weekly collective worship in Christ Church, with special services for parents and the wider community at festival and celebration times including Easter Eucharist ·
- Pupils study the immediate local Christian community especially the stories of the Northern Saints, eg. Barnabas in Schools workshops ·
- Pupils regularly visit Christ Church to learn about it’s Christian history and that of it’s community. Pupils also visit Newcastle Cathedral.
- Early Years and KS1 children visit St Mary’s Monkseaton regularly to participate in Godly Play sessions. These visits foster a deeper understanding of the Church as a living community ·
- Members of the local parish community visit to share their experience of Christian belief and life and both the Pastoral Assistant and members of the congregation and regularly involved in school life, eg. running our community choir, a craft club, organising Christmas Child Shoebox appeal, as well as weekly reading support work. ·
- Pupils develop skills to confidently use religious language to express knowledge and opinions. In school and church pupils to listen to Christian ‘psalms, hymns and spiritual songs’ from a wide variety of traditions ·
- Pupils have access to a wealth of Christian artefacts and those from other world religions that are used with care, respect and confidence (from Church House Resource Centre and North Tyneside Libraries Service) 3
- In school we have a small reflection area that can be used by all as a focus for prayer and silent reflection